Requirements and procedures for exporting fruit from Spain to the USA
Certain food products have been booming in recent years and are in high demand from consumers and markets. In several countries, fruit trees are being grown to replace other crops that traditionally occupied the land, such as wheat, barley or vegetables.
In Spain there have always been farmers dedicated to the cultivation of different varieties of fruit such as oranges, apples, bananas, cherries, avocados and strawberries. This has led to the country becoming an exporter and supplier of fruit to countries in Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Oceania and America. And it is on the latter continent, in the United States, that demand has increased in particular in recent years.
What are the requirements for exporting fruit to the United States? What procedures must be carried out?
- The importance of the cold chain. The product must be transported in appropriate temperature and humidity conditions so that it does not deteriorate.
- The correct labelling of the goods, with value being placed on the digitalization of the freight forwarding operation and ensuring traceability during export so that the client knows in real time the state of their products and their geographical location.
- Provide the documentation required by US Customs as well as all the certificates – such as phytosanitary certificates – related to the transportation of food products.
- Choosing the type of transport for crossing the Atlantic Ocean, either on container ships, selecting the size and number of feet that the refrigerated container will have, or export by cargo plane.
- Be familiar with the import and export determinations made by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the US Department of Agriculture. As well as any tariffs.
It is important to note that the US Department of Agriculture regulates the import of fruits, vegetables, plants and plant products in order to safeguard the country’s agriculture and natural resources. Therefore, to correctly complete all the bureaucracy required to export fruit to the United States, it is very helpful and useful to have the advice of an experienced logistics operator such as Logisber.
How can fruit be exported from Europe to America?
Our team specializes in the transportation of food products to America and in the shipment of fruit from Spain to any city in the United States. We also offer specialized freight forwarding and customs advice to choose the most suitable type of shipment, at the lowest possible cost and in the shortest possible time. Contact Logisber now and we will provide you with information about the whole export process.